- To serve the national interests in oil and related sectors in accordance and consistent
with Government policies.
- To ensure maintenance of continuous and smooth supplies of petroleum products by
way of crude oil refining, transportation and marketing activities and to provide
appropriate assistance to consumers to conserve and use petroleum products efficiently.
- To enhance the country's self-sufficiency in crude oil refining and build expertise
in laying of crude oil and petroleum product pipelines.
- To further enhance marketing infrastructure and reseller network for providing assured
service to customers throughout the country.
- To create a strong research & development base in refinery processes, product
formulations, pipeline transportation and alternative fuels with a view to minimizing/eliminating
imports and to have next generation products.
- To optimise utilisation of refining capacity and maximize distillate yield and gross
- To maximise utilisation of the existing facilities for improving efficiency and
- To minimise fuel consumption and hydrocarbon loss in refineries and stock loss in
marketing operations to effect energy conservation.
- To earn a reasonable rate of return on investment.
- To avail of all viable opportunities, both national and global, arising out of the
Government of India’s policy of liberalisation and reforms.
- To achieve higher growth through mergers, acquisitions, integration and diversification
by harnessing new business opportunities in oil exploration & production, petrochemicals,
natural gas and downstream opportunities overseas.
- To inculcate strong ‘core values’ among the employees and continuously update skill
sets for full exploitation of the new business opportunities.
- To develop operational synergies with subsidiaries and joint ventures and continuously
engage across the hydrocarbon value chain for the benefit of society at large.