Expanding Horizons in Petrochemical Business
The petrochemical sector is a major driver of industrial growth. The per capita consumption of plastics in India is far below the world average. However in the last decade, the Indian polyolefin industry has seen double digit growth offering iarge potential for further growth. Ample opportunities also exist for export of polyolefin in the Asian region, including China.
IndianOil is focussing on strengthening its petrochemicals business by venturing into downstream polymer units. A world-class Naphtha Cracker and Polymer units are operational at IndianOil's Panipat Refinery. The technology and capacities of the Naphtha Cracker and Polymer units are world-class, with products ranging from commodity to niche grades. Commissioned on llth March 2010, the Naphtha Cracker complex includes:-
Naphtha Cracker Unit (NCU):
Downstream Polymer Units
- World class Naphtha Cracker unit with technology from ABB Lummus located at Panipat,
- Design capacity
- 857 KTA of ethylene
- 650 KTA of propylene
Polypropylene (PP) Unit:
- Two production lines of 300 KTA each with Spheripol technology license from Basell,
- Product portfolio includes entire range of Homopolymers, Block copolymers and Random
Dedicated HDPE Unit:
- Dedicated HDPE plant of 300 KTA using Basell (Hostalen) slurry process
- Product portfolio includes Unimodal as well as Bimodal HDPE grades for various application
segments such as Film, Blow Moulding & Pressure pipes.
LLDPE/ HDPE Swing Unit:
- LLDPE/ HDPE swing plant of 350 KTA capacity based on Sclairtech Solution polymerisation
technology of Nova Chemicals, Canada.
- Product portfolio includes general-purpose LLDPE &HDPE grades, as well as speciality
LLDPE grades using 1- Octene as co-monomer for niche application segments.