Barauni Refinery a state owned oil Refinery of IndianOil was dedicated to the nation in1965. Established in 1964, on the Northern banks of holy Ganga, at Barauni, on the periphery of the district town Begusarai, Bihar. Situated 125 km from Patna, it is also the point where two important railways meet – the Eastern Railways and North Eastern Railways. It was built in collaboration with the Soviet Union with limited participation from Romania, at a cost of ~Rs 49.4 Crore and went on stream in 1964.
The Refinery has gone a long way over the years, starting from a crude processing capacity of 1.0 MMTPA (AVU-I) of sweet crude from Assam oil fields. It has steadily expanded its capacity to 3.0 MMTPA with AVU-II and AU-III. Further, with the revamp of AVU-I & II in 1990 and AU-III in 2000, crude processing capability was increased to 4.2 MMTPA till 2000 and then to current level of 6.0 MMTPA in 2002 enabling the processing of high sulphur crudes through Barauni Expansion Project (BXP). Residue Fluidized Catalytic Cracker Unit (RFCCU), Diesel Hydro Treating Unit (DHDT), Sulphur Recovery Unit (SRU), Amine Re-generation Unit (ARU) and Hydrogen Generation Unit (HGU) are some of the major units.
Further following units were added to meet the fuel specifications.
- Catalytic Reforming Unit (CRU) was setup in 1997 to produce unleaded gasoline.
- Diesel Hydro- treater Unit (DHDT) was put-up in 2002 for supplying BS-II grade diesel. Third reactor was commissioned in May 2009 to meet BS-III diesel specification. Also, FCC Gasoline Desulphurisation (FCC GDS), Isomerisation Unit, Naphtha Hydrotreater, Hydrogen unit were commissioned in 2010 along with revamp of existing units to meet BS-III MS specifications.
- To produce BS-IV and BS VI compliant MS and HSD, Diesel Hydrotreating Unit (DHDT), FCC Gasoline De-Sulphurisation Unit (FCCGDS) and Catalytic Cracking Reforming Unit (CCRU) was implemented. The Project was executed in two phases. Phase-I was completed in Aug’17 to meet BS-IV quality while Phase-II was commissioned to meet BS-VI quality. IOCL R&D technology, indJet was commissioned in 2022 for production of ATF.
Upcoming Projects:Barauni Refinery expansion from 6 to 9 MMTPA is an approved project. It includes expansion of distillation capacity, secondary units along with petrochemical units.
Major products:LPG, Naphtha, Motor spirit, Superior Kerosene Oil, High Speed Diesel, Light Diesel Oil, Carbon Black Feed Stock, Raw Petroleum Coke, Bitumen, Sulphur.
Mode of Product Dispatch:
- Pipeline-BKPL, HBPL for HSD, PHBMPL for LPG.
- Tanker trucks for LPG, RPC
- Tank Wagons for MS, HSD, FO