Haldia Refinery is the 4th refinery of Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. located in East Midnapore district of West Bengal, at the confluence of rivers Haldi and Hooghly, 136 km away from Kolkata. The refinery was commissioned in 1975 with an installed capacity of 2.5 million metric tons per annum (MMTPA) in technical collaboration with M/s. TECHNIP-ENSA of France for Fuel sector and M/s. Industrial Export of Romania for Lube sector. The Refinery is spread over an area of about 500 acres.
Fuel Oil Block comprises CDU, NHDT, CRU, and KHDS. The initial processing capacity was increased to 2.75 MMTPA in April 1989 and further enhanced to through in-house de-bottlenecking. In 1997, the second Crude Distillation Unit was added to increase the refinery capacity to 4.6 MMTPA. With the commissioning of the 2nd VDU and secondary processing facilities, the Refinery became capable of processing 6.0 MMTPA of crude oil. Subsequently, Capacity expansion from 6.0 to 7.5 MMTPA along with addition of Once-Through Hydro cracking Unit (1.7 MMTPA), Hydrogen Generation Unit, Sulphur Recovery Units, Revamp of Crude Distillation Unit-CDU-II and related Utilities & Offsite facilities was done in year 2010. Capacity expansion of refinery was done from 7.5 to 8.0 MMTPA along with implementation of new Coker alongwith and Coker GasOil treater in Feb’20.
Lube Oil Block (LOB), comprises of VDU-I, Propane De-asphalting (PDA), De-waxing Units and Extraction units, Hydro-Finishing Unit (LHFU), Visbreaking Unit (VBU), Wax Hydro finishing Unit (WHFU) and Catalytic Iso-Dewaxing Unit (CDWU). The Catalytic Iso-Dewaxing Unit, commissioned in 2003, is the first of its kind in India to produce superior quality API Group II Lube Oil Base Stocks having lower pour point, very low Sulphur content, and higher viscosity Index as compared to the conventional API Group-I Lube Base Stocks. Haldia Refinery produces eco-friendly Bitumen emulsion and has recently introduced new products viz. API Gr-III LOBS and Low Sulphur Bunker Fuel (Marpol) in line with the IMO specifications.
Following units were added to meet the fuel specifications.
- Improvement in diesel quality and distillates yield (hydrocracker) project along with refinery expansion from 6.0 MMTPA to 7.5 MMTPA had objective to produce Euro-III/IV quality HSD, and refinery expansion to improve distillate yield. The project consisted of OHCU (1.7 MMTPA), HGU, SRU, Revamp of CDU-II (2.4 to 4.1 MMTPA). The project was completed in 2010.
- Improvement in quality and distillate yield project along with refinery expansion from 7.5 MMTPA to 8 MMTPA had objective to improve distillate yield, product quality and capacity expansion from 7.5 to 8.0 MMTPA. CDU-1 capacity revamp (from 3.4 to 3.9 MMTPA), new DCU (1.7 MMTPA), new CGO-T (1.4 MMTPA), DHDT (1.2 MMTPA) and associated facilities was included. The project was implemented in two phases with Phase-I in 2019 and Phase-II in 2020.
- Further to meet the local sulfuric acid demand, India’s first Wet Sulfuric Acid plant of 380 MTPD was commissioned in 2022.
Future Projects: To improve the lube capacity of the refinery a second CIDW plant is being set up and expected to come up in 2024.
Major products: Finished products from Haldia Refinery include both fuel oil products and lube oil base stocks.
- Fuel Products: LPG, Naphtha, Motor Spirit, Mineral Turpentine Oil (MTO), Superior Kerosene (SKO), Aviation Turbine Fuel (ATF), High Speed Diesel, Jute Batching Oil (JBO)
- Lube Oil products: API Group I/II/III Lube Oil Base Stocks of different grades,
- Bottoms: Furnace Oil (FO), Marpol FO, Bitumen, petcoke, Sulphur and sulfuric acid.
Mode of Product Dispatch:
- Product pipeline: HBPL for HSD, HMRPL: for MS, SKO, PHBMPL for LPG, PSHPL.
- Tank Wagon for MS, HSD, ATF, FO, Naphtha.
- Tanker trucks for LPG, MS, HSD, ATF