Mathura Refinery, was commissioned in 1982 with a capacity of 6.0 MMTPA to meet the demand of petroleum products in north western region of the country, which includes National Capital Region. Refinery is located along the Delhi-Agra National Highway about 154 KM away from Delhi. The major secondary processing units initially were Fluidised Catalytic Cracking Unit (FCCU), Vis-breaker Unit (VBU) and Bitumen Blowing Unit (BBU). The original technology for these units was sourced from erstwhile USSR, UOP etc. Soaker drum technology of EIL was implemented in VBU in the year 1993.
For production of unleaded Gasoline, Continuous Catalytic Reforming Unit (CCRU) was commissioned in 1998 with technology from IFP, France. A Diesel Hydro Desulphurisation Unit (DHDS) was commissioned in 1999 for production of HSD with low Sulphur content of 0.25% wt (max). With the commissioning of Once Through Hydrocracker Unit in 2000, Capacity of Mathura Refinery was increased from 6.0 to 8.0 MMTPA. FCCU Revamp was undertaken in 2014 to increase the processing capacity of the unit from 1.3 to 1.5 MMTPA.
Its close proximity to the magnificent wonder Taj Mahal adds to extra responsibility towards a cleaner environment. For upgrading environmental standards, old Sulphur Recovery Units (SRU) were replaced with new Sulphur Recovery Units with 99.9 % recovery in the year 1999. Additional Sulphur Recovery Unit (4th SRU) was implemented as a hot standby and was commissioned by 2011. Refinery had also set up four nos. of continuous Ambient Air Monitoring Stations far beyond the working area before commissioning in 1982 as a mark of its concern towards the community and archaeological sites. At Mathura Refinery, technology and ecology go hand in hand with continuous endeavour for Product Quality up-gradation, Energy Conservation and Environment Protection. Mathura Refinery.
Following units were added to meet the fuel specifications.
- Diesel Hydro-treating unit (DHDT) & MS Quality Up-gradation Unit (MSQU) were installed with world class technology in 2005 for production of Euro-III grade HSD & MS as per Auto Fuel Policy of Govt. of India.
- Mathura refinery was one of the 1st refinery in the country to produce BS VI grade fuels, and has been supplying National Capital Territory, New Delhi with BS VI fuels since 1 Apr’ 2018.
- Project for FCC Gasoline Desulphurization (FCCGDS) and Selective Hydrogenation Unit (SHU) was commissioned in 2010 and supply of Euro-IV grade MS and HSD started on continuous basis from February 2010.
Upcoming projects: Residue Upgradation Project at Mathura Refinery (9.2 MMTPA) is being considered to improve the distillate yield and quality keeping in consideration the environmental effect.
Major products: LPG, Motor spirit (BS-VI), Superior Kerosene Oil, High Speed Diesel (BS-VI), Naphtha, PNCP grade propylene, Bitumen VG -10/30 Sulphur.
Mode of Product Dispatch:
- Product pipeline: Mathura Jaipur pipeline (MJPL): 3.7 MMTPA. Mathura-Tundla Pipeline (MTPL):1.2 MMTPA, Mathura-Bharatpur pipeline (MBPL) for MS, SKO, ATF, PNCP naphtha.
- Tank Wagon for MS, HSD, Naphtha, FO.
- Tanker trucks for LPG, MS, HSD and ATF.